Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Avengers Arena # 1 - X-23 vs Hazmat and Cheap Deaths

The bastard child of the Avengers books was released last week and it featured one great segment and one not-so great segment. It's Avengers Arena # 1 folks by Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker.



Here's the short of it. Arcade teleports a group of random Avengers-y characters including the kids from Avengers Academy as well as the students of the Braddock Academy and some stragglers such as Cammi from Annihilation and Darkhawk


The first few pages featured a cool fight featuring X-23 and Hazmat...




The art is totally awesome with the help of former Thunderbolts artist Kev Walker (whom I totally missed especially with the big shift from T-Bolts to Dark Avengers

In terms of the storytelling, I liked the way that the chronological order's been skewed in order to make it a more intriguing story. I'm still on the fence with Hopeless' choice for the main villain, it being the X-Men's Arcade. 


I'm still unsure if it was a good idea to do something similar to stuff like "Hunger Games" and "Battle Royale".  It seems pretty random and uninspired. Plus the fact that common logic is that the Avengers will start looking for their kids. 

Another thing that made me frown in this would-be great read is the fact that they went the way of providing cheap shocks and even cheaper deaths in the form of Mettle's self-sacrifice in order to save his girlfriend Hazmat. I swear I really frowned when I saw this page:


Yeah. I'm really sad that Mettle had to go but I'm really going to try my darndest to like this book. Hopefully there's more substance here much like it's predecessor "Avengers Academy". 

It's out now people, so don't forget to grab your copies from: 


No comments:

Post a Comment