Sunday, January 13, 2013

Star Wars # 1 - The Art is Good the Story Even Better

I was caught off guard with the release of Dark Horse's Star Wars # 1 by Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda with covers by the legendary Alex Ross. I was caught off-guard because I wasn't able to order a copy. 


Review: A quick read through features a story that happens between A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back. Leah and Luke survive an Interceptor encounter while Han and Chewie contemplate their stay with the Rebel Alliance. Meanwhile Darth Vader is dispatched with a new mission by the Emperor.

The story is pretty interesting and quick. As the title says, the art is pretty to look at especially under the deft hands of artist Carlos D'Anda. It took me a good five minutes to actually peel my eyes away from the art and actually start reading the story. There's a lot of great character moments in this ish but so far my favorite happens to be that moment when Princess Leia manages to defend herself against a TIE Pilot. 


Brian Wood definitely weaves an intricate story for Star Wars # 1 and from the get-go it shows a lot of promise especially for the Star Wars fans who are only interested in the movie character. Another promise in this new ongoing is the promise of connecting stories from different eras (i.e. Luke's era connecting with Cade Skywalker's story in a crossover). 

For a first issue, I'm down with this book and I can definitely assure you guys that I'm getting the (hopefully) second print of the first issue as well as the subsequent issues. Really looking forward to see more new and old characters.

Here are some of the art (not to mention spoilers) for this issue of Star Wars...


Leia getting the drop on a TIE fighter pilot. 

Darth Vader as drawn by Carlos D'Anda.


Here's Vader thinking about his son Luke...


Also there's a bit of a foreshadowing in Luke Skywalker's part before getting interrupted by a suited-up Leia. 


Dear me Dark Horse, you have made me into a solid fan. Please keep Wood and D'Anda though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment